1. Speech Title exactly as it to be printed: “Free Silver, Trusts, and the Philippines.”
2. Exact Date and Place of Speech Delivery: 7 September 1900. Given at Grand Rapids, Michigan.
3. Complete Name of Speaker, with year of birth and year of death: Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919).
4. Complete name of editor or compiler of electronic text, with indication of role: Una Kimokeo-Goes, editor.
5. Date of electronic edition:
6. Languages: English.
7. Library of Congress Subject Headings: E757
8. Indication of editing functions performed: Una Kimokeo-Goes, proofreading of edited electronic text, December 22, 2010.
Statement of Editorial Procedures:
The copy-text is Roosevelt 1900a (=A) taken from the original typed manuscript from the Library of Congress. The selection was made based on it representing the most complete version of the text with Roosevelt’s own editing on the manuscript. The Library of Congress copy also represents an official rendering of the speech.
In some cases, Roosevelt 1900b (=B) is followed for spelling and grammar. The title is taken from Roosevelt 1900b.
Paragraph numbers have been added in square brackets.
The text of this edition has been thoroughly checked and proofread.
Indications of any normalization of the text are addressed in the notes below.
All double quotation marks are rendered with “, all single quotation marks with an apostrophe ‘.
This copy text is not subject to end-of-line hyphenation.
Special characters and characters with diachronic marks: none.
Departures from the copy-text are as follows (reference numbers specify paragraph in which the departure occurs):
3 Spanish War B: Spanish war A
3 Fitzhugh Lee B: FihHugh Lee A
6 Declaration of Independence B: declaration of independence A
7 First Dakota Volunteers B: lst Dakota Volunteers A
13 lignite deposit B: lignit deposit A
17 world’s work B: world work A