- Speech title as it is to be printed: “NOTRE DAME COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS”
- Exact Date and Place of Speech Delivery: May 17, 2009, Joyce Center, Notre Dame Campus, South Bend, Indiana.
- Complete Name of Speaker, with year of birth: Barack Obama, August 4, 1961.
- Complete name of editor or compiler of electronic text, with indication of role: Craig Rood (copied text from White House website, inserted paragraph numbers, and deleted applause lines).
- Date of electronic edition: May 17, 2009.
- Languages: English (100%)
- Subject heading—General level, Political Science; Special level, Presidents—United States—messages. Library of Congress Classification— JK501-868
- Indication of editing functions performed (e.g., data entry, proof-reading), by whom (complete name) and when performed: Craig Rood, copy and pasted text from White House website, inserted paragraph numbers and deleted applause lines, December 17th, 2011.
Statement of Editorial Procedures:
The copy-text is Obama 2009 (=A), the text posted on The White House website.
Copy text (=A) has been checked against the video version of the speech (=B) by Craig Rood.
Text A was used because it adequately reflects the speech as delivered and recorded. The White House only made minor changes, such as removing vocal fillers and repetitions of the same word while the audience finished applauding (e.g., “Father…Father Hesburgh”).
Applause lines have been removed from the copy-text.
Paragraph numbers have been added in square brackets.
All double quotation marks are rendered with “, all single quotation marks with apostrophe ‘.
This copy text is not subject to end-of-line hyphenation.
Special characters and characters with diachronic marks: none.
Departures from the copy-text and general editorial procedures are as follows (reference numbers specify paragraph in which the departure occurs): None